Monday, July 21, 2008

Music Monday...Concert Recap

Friday the place to be was the Clark County Amphitheater. Melissa was there sporting her new BWOF top. I could talk about how fabulous Montgomery Gentry was (and I will), or about how Toby Keith rocked the house (which he did), but first I would like to pay homage to the people who opened the show...the up and comers. First to play was Trailer Choir They sang their new song "Rocking the Beer Gut", which was a fun and catchy tune...easy to pick up the chorus and sing along. They ended with their CMT single "Off the Hillbilly Hook" which is featured on the soundtrack of Toby Keith's upcoming movie "Beer for my Horses". Trailer Choir gets two thumbs up from me.
Next up were the sisters of Carter's Chord Beautiful girls with beautiful voices, but I wasn't as enthralled with them as I was Trailer Choir. Maybe it seemed a little "been there...done that" to me, but that's just my opinion. The other newcomer showcased on Toby's Showdog label is Mica Roberts. That woman can belt out a tune! She did a duet with Toby...Why don't we get Trashed (and throw it all away) and then she did a solo performance of "Lady Marmalade" that was amazing! I think we will be hearing more from Mica in the near future. Now on to the main events. As I mentioned, Montgomery Gentry was fabulous. I had seen them years before in the Rose Garden, and they seemed much more relaxed this time. Several times Eddie Montgomery chuckled into the microphone He...he...he...he...he!!!! I found it rather endearing. I love a man with a good laugh. It made me think of our friend Mel, God rest his soul. Mel had a great laugh like that and a twinkle in his eye. We used to go squirrel hunting together down on the Rogue and Mel made the best breakfasts. Fried potatoes with onions and jalapenos...mmmm!!! Nobody makes them like you Mel! But I digress. Eddie and Troy seemed to really be having fun and that makes me happy. Toby came out after a fun trailer for his movie "Beer for my Horses". His concert began with one of his newer tunes "Hottie". It appeared to me that he didn't even smile the first few songs, which kind of annoyed me, but then again, it might have been the migraine headache brewing. Someone up front offered him their beer, which he gladly accepted and in quid pro quo fashion, Toby offered them his cup. I'm not quite sure what he was drinking, but based upon his comment "Don't bring a knife to a gun fight", I am sure it was something pretty stout! Toby did seem to loosen up and smile as the concert wore on (maybe something to do with the good libations?), so I dropped my earlier judgement. All in all, a good time was had by all and now I am looking forward to the Oregon Jamboree with Sugarland, Glen Campbell to mention a few of the artists, but most of all I am jazzed to see TRACE (you have to lower your voice a couple octaves to say his name!!!)

No comments:

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...