Friday, January 16, 2009

Do you like pina coladas...

That song was buzzing around my head all day yesterday. Some of you may be too young to remember that classic Rupert Holmes tune. It all started with an idea. I have committed to making one new dish a week, just to get out of the rut of making the same ol' thing. I was digging throught the cupboard the other day and found some coconut I had forgot about. I had an almost full jar of pineapple topping from a banana split fest we had a while back. I hadn't made anything new or inspired all week, so I thought, why not make an "Escape Jelly Roll" (Those of you who know the song will get that). I had a half box of yellow cake mix (the other half had been used for a cherry cobbler...an easy dessert. My husband came in and said "mmm, what smells so good?" So I broke into song and explained what I was making. He just shook his head and went back outside. My darling daughter called during the baking of said jelly roll and asked "what you are you doing?" I said "You probably don't remember that song "Do you like pina coladas?"...and she countered with "and getting caught in the rain...and the feel of the ocean..." She finished out the chorus!!! That's my girl!!! (Sorry Bryce!!!) Probably it's my fault for all the times she had to listen to my music. She knows most Martika songs and all of Taylor Dayne..."I'll Always Love You"...Punkin. Anyway, the dessert turned out very well and was a great compliment to the Tamale Pie I concocted for dinner. But enough about food...In sewing I replaced the ripped backing on a nice wool rug I gleaned from the Yellow House a few weeks ago and redid a sad pillow for the trailer I had in the closet. It is now nice and full again and will look nice on the sofa. I embroidered 2 potholders and started one of the white thread series blouses. The EMP6 needs to go in for service soon. I got the Gold standard service with it, so I try to take it in every 6-9 months to keep it in tip top shape. The Gold standard warranty will be up in March, so the next service will be on me after that (Yikes!) It really has been worth it...I didn't pay the normal fee for it. I think the list price is something like $600.00-$700.00. They may have thrown it in or I maybe I paid $100.00, can't remember. But I can tell you it was worth it. I had to have a wiper replaced and that bill alone would have been almost $400.00!!! So it will be a sad day when the machine goes in, but Montavilla Sewing is really quick. Quicker than any other shop I've worked with, and don't even get me going on that topic! No sewing today...have to work and then go see our financial advisor to make the bleeding stop!!! I think I need to just take my money and invest in fabric!!!

3 comments:

Kat said...

That Rupert Holmes song is a classic! Think it was popular when I was in 4th grade and EVERYBODY was singing it. I love Taylor Dayne--that's my era. I can really find my groove with "Tell It To My Heart" or whatever that song is called. That was downloaded off Itunes to make an '80's CD for my van.

Anonymous said...

I know ALL the Martika songs, at least from her self-titled album!! Don't forget Joan Jett..."I Love Rock & Roll!!" Love you. :)

Maryissewfast said...

Okay, Punkin...Shoulda known better! What about REO Speedwagon??? Love ya...Mom

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...