Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thrift Store Score!!!

Today was one of those unstructured days where I pretty much did whatever I wanted to do. It started out by sleeping in (thank you Hunny for taking Jo out!) and then I slowly eased into the day. I ran some errands, stopping at this little thrift store we have in town that is only open on Mondays and Wednesdays. It is run by a local church and they do alot to help in the community, so I totally try to support them when I can. I take all of my stuff to them rather than the Goodwill because I know that the money will be used here in our town. Goodwill has not impressed me much lately and their prices have crept up too. Guess it is a sign of the times. Another reason I love the Yellow House is that sewing patterns are always free, which to a sewista is Nirvana. Especially when you find a bunch of Vintage Vogue, Simplicity and Butterick!!! Check out this jacket pattern...It is so getting made! I scored a raspberry colored suede jacket that was in impeccable condition and also is machine washable. This is the second suede jacket I have found that can be washed...who knew. I tried it with the first one and it came out great, so I guess it will be okay for the raspberry one. I picked up some never been worn Birkenstock Betula sandals for 50 cents...the straps ar a white leather printed with rose colored flowers. They will be great for summer. I also found random items for the new trailer...a dish drainer, measuring cups, etc. I then traveled to Sandy to pick up some library items I had on hold. Since our library will be closed for a few months as they repair the flood damage, my new home library will be in Sandy, which is only about 4 miles away from work. Their Book Nook resale is in their library, so I picked up a classic movie for $2.00 "Some like it Hot" with Marilyn Monroe and Jack Lemmon. Can't wait to watch it. I love all the old movies...makes me think of my Mom. One of my fondest memories of her was walking home from school on a rainy day and she was waiting for me at the door. She had popped a bowl of popcorn and there was a Robert Redford movie on...I believe it was "The Way We Were"...we watched the movie together the rest of the afternoon...funny the things you remember. Anyway, back to today...I made my way down Highway 26, stopping at the Dollar Tree for a new dustpan and wandering around BiMart (didn't buy anything there)...next I walked over to Starbucks and bought the last bag of whole bean Sumatran they had...I was getting frantic because all they had was the Decaf crap...sorry for the swear...I prefer leaded coffee. When Sara and Bryce worked for Starbucks we had free coffee all the time with their markouts. Then they graduated and moved on...we had to find another source...we had a friend whose daughter worked in corporate and he had buckhoo big bags that he would bring us...well, the gravy train has ended and so now we are slaves to the bean...hopelessly addicted we are! After Starbucks I went a little further down the stripmall to Baskins & Robbins for one scoop of my all time favorite...Dacquiri Ice on a sugar cone. The nice gentleman scooping for me tried to get me to waiver from my usual by tempting me with tastes of other ices...nope...I know what I like and I only do it maybe 3 or 4 times a year...mmmm. The sun felt warm so I sat on a bench and watched people go by as I ate my cone. Next I headed on down the road to Eagle, which is the Costco outlet store...you never know what you will find...like 2.5 pounds of Starbucks French Roast!!! SCORE!!! I also picked up a nice jacket for $13.49 in a nice green. I got a similar one last year in blue that I dearly love and wear alot. One of my co-workers commented that she had the same jacket and bought a couple of them in different colors at Costco for $30.00. Gulp! I had to tell her about Eagle, because I paid $13.49 for the blue one too! Next it was on to Freddies (No, I didn't buy anymore coffee). I did buy a Paula Deen stovetop coffee pot that was on clearance for the trailer. It is very old school looking in red enamel. I think Tom will like it...the man checking my groceries et al sure did like it and was going to go buy one on his break! Then I headed home, but I couldn't resist stopping at the Bargain Depot to see my friend Cindy...another local business I try to support because I love Bud and Cindy! Tom's candy drawer was getting empty and they get good stuff for cheap!!! So Hunny, if you are reading this...check out the drawer...the chocolate fairy has come!!! Now I am puttering around the house and I think I'll wander up to the studio and look for some wool I have in mind for that vintage jacket! Hope you all had as good a day as I had!

6 comments:

Christina said...

Those are really wonderful patterns, and I can't believe they were free too boot! Lucky you.

Summerset said...

Free?!? Yeah, you scored big time! Way to go!

Angelia said...

Awesome pattern find!!!
Sounds like you are as addicted as we are to "the bean"! lol!! Whats horrible about our addiction is after our trip to Bouquete, Panama (where coffee is shade grown in volcanic soil and babied to perfection!) we are so spoiled now !!!! We actually brought back a suit case full of coffee! But hey, there's worse things to be addicted to, right!

Kat said...

Yep, that sure is a score! Sadly, I've never found good patterns, really any patterns at our local Salvation Army. Don't know what's up with that or maybe I'm just not looking the right places.

Maryissewfast said...

I don't think Salvation Army and Goodwill do patterns anymore...at least that's what I've been told in the stores here. Too bad they don't know about us pattern hounds! Mary

Carolyn (Diary of a Sewing Fanatic) said...

I am sooooo loving the new patterns especially the jacket!

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...