Friday, March 6, 2009

Plugging Away

I love to finish projects, but I equally love the excitement of starting a new project. I got a little work on McCalls 5314, aka the wrap dress with the neverending hem. I normally just serge everything up, but I thought I would take a little more time and sew it up with attention to getting the best fit, which means sewing the intended 5/8 inch seam allowances (or whatever it takes to get the proper fit). I did serge the edges to give a nice finish because nothing bugs me more than unfinished seams...one of my anal quirks. I got most of the bodice sewed up yesterday afternoon before dinner. I had to take the EMP6 to be serviced after work. It is covered by the Gold Standard package through the end of the month so I had to get it in before I have to start actually paying for it. Good thing I made the effort too...a basic service starts at $229.00...Yikes!!! I have been very diligent in taking it in often, so I truly have got my money's worth out of the extra warranty. The techs who came out to get it out of my car were two oldtimers. I thought they were going to drop it!!! The gruff one was grumbling about it being transported in my car (it has been transported in that car as long as I have had it...nobodies ever complained before!) Guess I'll have to take Tom with me to pick it up...it wasn't that difficult for us to load/unload it and I am a weiner anymore when it comes to the heavy lifting. I have arthritis in my hands and I just can't lift like I used to. My Mother in Law used to own a feed store. I would sling feed and hay like nobodies business and she would warn me "You're gonna be sorry someday". I think the day has come. Guess that is the reward for growing old. Anyway, back to the dress...I think I will be able to finish it up on Sunday. Tom has class that day and I am off since tomorrow is graduation. No sewing today or tomorrow. Hope to go visit Jason and Janis to see their new little daughter tonight and then tomorrow I have a baby shower to attend. A lot of babies being born here...you would think it was Spring or something! Except for the fact that there was snow on the ground when I got up this morning!

No comments:

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...