Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Beat goes On...

Doesn't that conjure up a song in your head that you can't get rid of..."Drums keep pounding a rhythm to the brain....Ladi-Dadi-Dee...Ladi-Dadi-Da" Okay, sorry about the Sonny and Cher flashback. What I really meant to say is that despite taking the machine into the dealer, I am still cranking out garments in the sweat shop. I finished the skirt and top from New Look 6813. Is it my imagination or does the New Look sizing run big? This is the second New Look that I have had to cut significantly smaller than my usual size according to the measurements. I used a beautiful tropical cotton print for the skirt (double remnant score) and a poly knit that was 50% off. Yesterday we had some errands to run and bless my husband's patient soul...he took me to JoAnns. I knew that thread and clearance fabric was 50% off. The poly knits that I considered a great deal at 50% off was marked 60% off, so I snagged some more of that to make some more T-shirts. Speaking of T-shirts, I bow to the T-shirt Queen! Look at all the great T-shirts that Christy made...28!!! I would consider 14 awesome! But I digress...the skirt came out fabulous and I think the top will work...the neckline is a little wider than I prefer, but I know better for next time as I think with a little tweaking this could be a TNT-T. I also redid the hems in a couple of Jalie sweetheart tops I made way back...for some odd reason I tried using Wooly thread when doing coverstitching in the beginning and I ended up with a raised hemline. This would be great if that's the design element you are looking for, but I really wanted flat...so lesson learned. I have so many great ideas for new projects...can't wait for time in the studio. When I go pick my Brother up I think I will take the Evolve for a service. I've had it a little over a year and it is covered under the Gold standard. It's a great machine and I use her all the time, so I need to be good to her...Alas, she will be sorely missed while away...guess I need to start looking for a back up serger...

3 comments:

gwensews said...

I LOVED Sony and Cher. Their beat will always go on.

Julia said...

Ditto to Gwen's comment!

Kat said...

Mary, NL patterns have never been to my liking. They seem to run big on me, especially in the upper chest and shoulders. Don't know why either.

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...