Saturday, October 23, 2010

Warning: Not totally Sewing Related...

To be honest, this post will probably contain very little sewing, so if you are not interested in other random bits of life, feel free to click away right now! Let's talk about my husband's hobby, shall we? Tom is busy restoring a 1957 Willy's Jeep.  He is very excited about it and is vigilantly scouring Craig's List and the internet for parts and pieces he needs for this project.  This project started with his "little" brother (Eric is not little, but that's what Tom calls him).  They are always horsetrading back and forth and Tom brought home this jeep project about a year ago.  He was finishing up our son-in-law's classic Bronco and was itching for something new to work on.  Eric was working on a Jeep pickup and so this seemed like the thing to do. Tom stripped it down to the bare bones and welded and straightened the frame.  He got an old wrecked Toyota for parts and I'm not sure where the great transmission came from, but I've been told we have one! It's kind of like when I find a great vintage sewing machine...Tom knows I have it, but don't ask him for details!!! Anywho, there was an issue with the length of the drive line and Tom really had to do some figuring to work out how that was going to come together. He bought a transfer case off Craig's list, but discovered he needed a certain gear to "make it work" (thank you Tim Gunn!) plus an adapter.  Networking gave him a number of a guy that might have a gear, and he returned Tom's call early Thursday morning (okay, it was 7:20, I was up, but that's early for Mr. Man on his day off when He's not going hunting or fishing or something!). Come to find out, this gentleman designed the adapter for Advance and is an expert.  What a great resource! Since Tom was up in Brush Prairie close to Eric's shop that day, he stopped and took "little brother" to lunch.  They got talking engines, and evidently a guy that ERic raced with had the perfect engine for the Jeep he was selling at a good price.  So to Longview Tom traveled and now the Jeep has an engine.  Love it when a plan comes together.  I stayed home that day because I knew it was going to be a male bonding day for Tom, so I got some time to sew and cook.  I made a killer chicken pizza with my new Pampered Chef stone and it was a great dinner while watching Project Runway. It's Mondo, Andy and Gretchen...who do you think will win? I'm hoping Andy...we'll see. Didn't do any sewing last night because I had baking and cooking for Mister Man's excellent elk adventure.  I also purchased some new glasses at Zenni's Optical as my glasses that were repaired back in September are starting to fail again, so I dropped them off at the optical center for yet another remake.  I also ordered some Rx sunglasses, so I'm hoping this works out.  The price was very reasonable and the site has a feature where you can load a picture of yourself and with the pupillary distance you can "try on" the different styles to see how they look on your face. I tend to pick out the same frame (boring, I know), but this time I varied just a little bit...same basic shape but a different type of frame.  I am currently wearing my old pair of glasses that are rimless and have lasted better than the frames with rims! Go figure!  In other news, I made a new sewing buddy at work.  One of our students is a kindred spirit and she has become my new BFF! We are talking about taking a sewing tour together to NYC that is offered through Sew Many Options sewing tours...it will be me, Alice and her new guide Panama...Look out NYC!!! Well, enough rambling for now...Next post should be more sewing related since I will be a hunting widow for the next week and can spend all my free time sewing! Whoo-hoo!!!  

1 comment:

Anita (Summer Gypsy) said...

We've used zenni with very happy results ... but it took a month to get them, so don't be in a rush. I'm ready to go back to them for a pair of aviator sunglasses, big ones, dark.

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...