Sunday, January 2, 2011

Oops, I did it again...

There! Now you have Brittany Spears stuck in your head for the day! Actually, I did a couple of things again. I was looking at patterns and JoAnn's had McCall's for 99 cents, 50% off their Red Tag fabric and on top of that I had a coupon for 10% off the total purchase for New Years...well, shoot, I had to go, didn't I? Well, I didn't, but I did. Interesting enough though, in spite of the pattern sale, they did not have any McCall's books out for people to look at. What? Now that I think about it, the Vogue books weren't out either! Lame! It didn't phase me, because I always go armed with my list of must haves, so I just hit the drawers and get out of that section, but the poor Grandma looking for a pattern to make something for her new great granddaughter had a much more difficult time. I tried to help her as I was looking at baby patterns too, but what she really wanted was a hooded towel pattern. We discussed...easy enough to make without a pattern. I picked out a few bolts of fabric, but the selection at JoAnn's really has declined as their prices have increased. Really? No wonder I am such a loyal Fabric.com customer.  I can buy better stuff at Fabric Depot and the Mill End JoAnn's! Get a clue! As I was perusing the fabrics, I noticed a man looking intently at sewing machines for about an hour. Really intently, like he wanted to buy one, but didn't have the slightest idea where to start.  Did anyone approach him to help? No!  It's not like they were swamped...sales people were standing around doing nothing! Finally I walked up and said "You look like you're confused...are you looking to buy a sewing machine?" We struck up a conversation and he said that he was looking for a machine to repair sports uniforms for a kids league he is involved with.  It just so happened that I had a Singer Merritt in my car that I had picked up for someone wanting to learn to sew...(remember, I am the patron saint of sewing machines?) After I paid for my purchase, I went out to the car, brought the machine in and gave it to him.  Sounded like a good match to me and he could use the money he was going to pay for a cheap machine on sports equipment.  I gave him a mini lesson and told him where to look to download a manual.  JoAnn's missed an opportunity to sell this man a machine.  Good customer service seems to be a thing of the past.  Anywho, I snapped a few pictures of the cardiwrap for you all:
And then with the cowl drape, which is one of my favorite ways to wear them:
Now I need to skedaddle off to work...see you all later! :)

7 comments:

KID, MD said...

It looks great!! Now I definitely have to make one.

Anonymous said...

What a nice color for this cardi!

gwensews said...

Love that cardi. It looks great on you. I'm thinking red must be an out of the box color for you as I don't remember seeing a photo of you in anything red. It's a good color for you.

Irene said...

Wonderful cardigan! I've been thinking of something similar (even bought several patterns), but I'm still hesitant about the practicality of such a garment. Do the long bits get in the way when you, for example, sit down?

gMarie said...

Oh Mary = that is just lovely! All around. I love that you gave the gentleman the sewing machine and showed him how to use it!

I downloaded a very similar pattern from Fabric.com and printed it out even. I wonder where it got shoved in the move around? Let me know if you ever want to meet for a Fabric Depot shoping experience. g

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Great wrap! The color is even warm. Even with a 40% off coupon, Joann's prices on fabric are RIDIC. The only good thing about their hideous, expensive selection is that it is easy to buy patterns without being even slightly tempted to add to my stash.

How great to find a new home for your machine! Sounds like it will be put to great use.

Maryissewfast said...

Thanks for the positive feedback folks! Makes my day! Irene, as for your question about the hanging bits...I have not had much trouble with them getting in the way. There are several ways to wear the cardiwrap and you can style it with the bits tied up if you want. This kind of style hides a multitude of sins! :)

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...