Tuesday, May 24, 2011

A Salt on a Slug...

Actually that means I have begun my annual assault on the slug population. I found a couple of them in my broccoli and brussel sprouts, so me and my trusty box of rock salt went to work. I could get slug bait, but with Jo's love of helping me in the garden, I am hesitant to lay down any poison! I was thinking of my Mom while I was annihilating slugs this morning. Why, you ask? Growing up we had two pet ducks...Daisy and Dum-Dum. Daisy and Dum-Dum loved to eat slugs, but Mom was afraid to let them free range so every night about dusk we had to go gather up slugs onto a coffee can lid with sticks to feed to the ducks. Daisy just scarfed them up, but Dum-Dum had to wash his first. Maybe he wasn't so dumb after all? Another great story in the history of slugs was when Sara was about 3, she was playing out in the yard. She let out a blood curdling scream! We thought something horrible had happened (well, in her little world, it had!). Sara had stepped on a slug with her bare feet! Pretty traumatizing for a 3 year old although not dangerous. I digress...the sun is out today and of course I head back to work this afternoon! C'est la vie! I am inspired by Trena's Netherland wardrobe to start planning a new wardrobe for Greece...I love the planning part...time to "shop the stash" for the bones of this capsule.  More to come...

6 comments:

Adelaide B said...

Hey, this is Adelaide over at the Pretty Sweet Blog. Turns out the previous two winners of the Crappy Spring Double Giveaway did not claim their Lisette pattern, so I drew again and you are the new winner! Please leave a comment on your blog with your email address. (I will delete it once I get it for privacy's sake.)

Also, I hate slugs. A lot.

Adelaide B said...

on my blog. Sorry.

Donna said...

How funny Mary, that you should share this funny story. :o) Our battle is with the leaf cutter ants--sigh..

We loved putting salt on slugs..and then grossing out when they 'melted'. By we I mean my three sisters and I.

xo
Donna

Sherril said...

I'm seriously older than 3 and I would think something tragic happened if I got slug guts all over my foot too.

gMarie said...

That is a great story. You can also leave a shallow dish of beer and the slugs will crawl in and drown. Then if Jo drinks it - no harm no foul - just a sneezy dog! g

Maryissewfast said...

Thanks Gaylen...I forgot about the beer tip! I have done that in the past and it seems to me that Thor and Kodi used to drink the beer...made for a great afternoon garden party for the dogs!

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...