Friday, January 11, 2013

Clothing Expiration Date?

Yesterday as I was getting dressed I wondered...does clothing have an expiration date? I was pulling on a favorite print t-shirt that plays in the rotation a few times a month and thought about when I had made it. Had it really been almost 4 years? I remember buying the remnant at JoAnn's after we had breakfast with Sara at a little diner in Oregon City. Tom and Sara went to the automotive store to get something for her car and I snuck into the fabric store. The T was a BWOF raglan sleeve that takes a minimal amount of fabric (less than a yard). It's not stretched or faded. The shirt still looks good and works well with my wardrobe. Should I be concerned that I'm still rocking it? I find many of the things I make become the things I wear all the time and sometimes the clothing I buy end up in the donation bag. Dear Readers, how do you determine when it's time to say goodbye to your creations?

5 comments:

gMarie said...

I keep them until they look horrible or I no longer wear them. If you love it, wear it and it still looks good who cares? g

Judith said...

If they still work in the wardrobe, see a little bit of light during the week, then they are 'keepers!'. Luckily they don't have use-by-dates stamped on the seams...

Faye Lewis said...

If it looks o.k., is in good repair and I love it - it stays.

The Slapdash Sewist said...

Sometimes I am relieved when a piece finally wears out/starts looking ratty because I'm so sick of it! One dress in particular I made about 6 years ago and the darn thing still looks good. Sometimes the style or print goes too far out of style, but mostly I just get sick of wearing something and put it in the giveaway pile. Favorites are kept for 5 or 6 years (or more), items on which I feel neutral maybe only a year or two.

Becky Andrews said...

That's an interesting question. If it hangs around for a second season without being worn -it is gone. Thanks for the birthday wishes :).

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...