Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Back to Work

And back to blogging apparently. I find myself being rather verbose lately and productive in the studio. Maybe it's because Fall is quickly coming on, or maybe it's because the La Pine project is coming to completion (well at least for this year). On top of that I have been sneaking lots of time with my new toy, the Kindle. I was rather reluctant when they first came out, but let me tell you, the e-reader concept is pure genius! I love having access to a whole library in one slim volume. Easy to carry in my purse, I no longer am left without something to do if I am asked to wait. Not that I go to the doctor/dentist office all that much, but the few times I have it has been a Godsend. Or cooking dinner for the boys and true to form an emergency call comes in...great...time to read my book! Or play a game, or even check my facebook or blog. Yes, the 3G version has limited internet access. Not the speediest browser in the world, but hey, the 3G wireless is included for free, and free is a very good price. Library lending will be available by the years end, so they say, which will make the Kindle perfect in my estimation. Being the bargain lover that I am, I have found tons of free books that I am really enjoying, and of course Amazon has the daily deal as well. I picked up a super 2011 travel guide to the sites in Athens which will be very helpful on our trip. It even tells you where the entrances are to points of interest such as the Acropolis, when it's open, the price of admission, even which point of entry is less crowded usually so you can get in quicker! Now that's news you can use! The reviews also recommended using the text-to-speech feature to have a guided tour, so to speak. I'm excited to try it. And speaking of travel, since you can load pdf documents, one blogger recommended loading your travel itinerary and even a copy of your passport. I'm not sure how I feel about the passport, having worked in corrections and knowing how easy it is for someone to steal your identity. I have to think on that one a bit. All in all, I am a very satisfied Kindle owner. Do you Kindle?

5 comments:

Carrie Jamrogowicz said...

That was my experience too.... was very reluctant, but I have a HUGE book collection and it made me reluctant to buy more. So after talking to some fellow book lovers I took the leap, and I love it! Like you, I love that I don't have to choose ONE book to take with me, I can take them ALL! Now I just need the cost of the electronic versions of books to come down.... I hate that the ebook usually costs more than the paperback.

Marjie said...

I don't have a kindle, but you might just convince me to reconsider. Of course, I need to read the thousands of "real" books I have around my house.....

Maryissewfast said...

I hear you Marjie...I have a ton of "real" books too, but I thought of you when I saw that books beyond a certain copyright are available for free! I know you love to read the classic old books (so do I!) :)

The Slapdash Sewist said...

I haven't converted yet, but the pending library access is certainly a deal sweetener. I think I will just stick with books for now, though, as neat a toy as the Kindle seems.

kathy said...

Add a copy of your passport to your kindle before your trip and delete afterwards. At the very least, make a paper copy to keep in your wallet.
(just in case). Understand identity theft fears but also understand 'stranded' without passport.

eloginc

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...