Thursday, September 30, 2010

Patron Saint of Sewing Machines

Is there a patron saint of sewing machines? I'm not sure, but if there is one, she's my kindred spirit. I always look to rescue unwanted or unloved machines.  There was Ricci, left at the recycle depot...and Kenny, whose owner did not love her anymore and wanted cash.  Today I stopped at a multi family rummage sale being held at the Oddfellows Hall next to the post office. And there she was, sitting in a corner all alone...
She's a Singer Merritt 5405.  As you can see, my trusty assistant the Chief approves. I shall call her Merry, as in "Merry is Sewfast".  She didn't have any bobbins, but that was not a problem for me. I dug in the bobbin bin and pulled out some that fit her.  She sewed a perfect seam the first push and then revealed a few tension issues, but I think I have that ironed out now.  How much did I pay for this beauty you ask?

Yep...Five bucks is all they wanted to take her home! Pretty sweet find. I believe I already have the manual downloaded, because I think another machine I gave away was a Singer Merritt 5405. Now to clean her up, give her a good oiling and come up with a maiden project for her. It's a great day in the neighborhood!

6 comments:

Debi said...

What a great deal! I love the photo with Chief >'.'<

KID, MD said...

Wow! Awesome find!

Summerset said...

Total score!

Kathy said...

WOW 5$.....good deal. Of course, our kitties love sewing machines..

BeeBee said...

Nice machine. I attempted a Merritt rescue last summer but failed. Couldn't get it to make a stitch - I think the timing was off. I took it back to the Salvation Army through the donation lane and then went inside and found a 1980's New Home that I'm quite sure had been lanquishing in a closet for 25 years. Came with everything it started with and I'm not sure had ever sewn a stitch - no lint anywhere. Even had a packet on needles with it. Poor baby. It's finally loved. And only $15.

liza jane said...

Your trusty assistant is adorable! I had to comment because I have a very similar trusty assistant as well :)

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...