Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Reflections on the weekend...

I hope everyone had a safe and enjoyable holiday weekend. Having Mondays off regularly is a new thing for me at this job. Usually I worked every Monday, including the holidays, which was not really a bad thing (can you say time and a half with generally less work?) However, it was nice to be home and share the day with my Sweetie. Used to be we would always try to head to one of the many lakes near LaPine on the Memorial Day weekend. No urgency to do that now that we are building our retirement there. Tom worked Sunday, so I caught up on all the laundry (he brought home a ton from his week in LaPine) and baking. I wanted to try a heavier grain bread, but could not find a suitable recipe in any of my books or online. A light bulb went off...I have developed a great recipe...why not experiment with adding more grains and see what happens? The results were fabulous, so now I have a super whole grain recipe and the confidence to experiment more! Next up I would like to try some millet with my sourdough french bread...yummo! Sunday also gave me an afternoon in the studio to do some embroidery. I have been working to tidy up my space with all the rain we've been having, and it has really boosted my creative spirit! I also made a decision on some UFO's. I had a vest that has probably been sitting around for 2 years. It was to go with a sundress that I dearly love and wear with a nice white cardigan. I felt guilty, but never could quite make myself sew it. I finally pulled the pattern pieces off the fabric and let it go. It felt good! Question...How long do you let UFOs hang out before you set them free? Or do you ever? Monday morning brought a planned Skype date with our daughter and grandson...Heaven!!! I miss them so much! Colt is growing up so fast and I just miss being able to chat on the phone with Sara or meet up for coffee or lunch when our schedules would allow. Bryce recently deployed again, so they are on their own for awhile, but thankfully she has lots of great friends over there and a band of local support. Memorial day is also a time for reflection and giving thanks to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our freedom. I spent some time thinking and praying about that too. Tom was not feeling really great yesterday, so he spent time in the recliner watching an NCIS marathon. I puttered a bit, but did spend a lot of time sitting with him and knitting. I finished another pair of socks and next up on the needles will probably be some socks for Colt. He's got pretty big feet...I asked Sara for a measurement and she held her phone up...yup, his feet are as big as her phone! Ye Gads! He's going to be a bruiser if he grows into those feet! Love it!!! On the sewing front, I need to get busy on the apron/tops for the girls at work. Super easy project, but I can't seem to get myself enthused about it. I am enthused about sewing for me. I joined Club BMV over the weekend and have a bunch of new patterns heading my way. That's always fun. They had the membership down to $9.99 and a good sale on the patterns. In the past I have just waited til JoAnn's had them on sale, but a special trip to town to buy patterns always leads to buying more stuff, and truly I am disenchanted with their fabrics. The unsubscribing to Fabric.com has worked very well too in curbing my fabric aquisition. I have checked them out a couple of times (can you say "Liberty of London"?), but truly, if I want some Liberty, I want to buy it when I am in London...just sayin! Well, the rain is still with us...they are predicting we might see the sun on Saturday. I hope so...I am in need of some serious vitamin D! I better get on my horse an ride...back to work today!

2 comments:

gMarie said...

I had a lovely long weekend. Finally made up my Monique dress. Why did we have to have it? I should not wear something fully gathered around my waist. ICK! Might be that the AB fabric I used for the first version was too heavy, but, ICK. g

Maryissewfast said...

Oh no! I haven't made mine yet although I have a fabric in mind. Crap...I just looked out the window and it's raining again! Wish I had worn a coat to work!

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...