Sunday, December 23, 2012

Radio Silence

Last post in September? I think this is the longest stretch I have ever went without posting to my blog. Part of it was business, part of it was I couldn't figure out how to post a pic with my iPad and the rest was just apathy! Wasn't feeling like writing about anything. As I sit here in the quiet morning (okay, quiet except for the tattletale pomeranian who has to report back when Kodi moves!), I realized that I miss journaling and should make an effort to check in with myself more often.

Progress has been made on the LaPine house. The great room has been painted and the window seat cushions recovered. The guest room has fresh paint and the fireplace stove replacement is underway. Tom had surgery, so things have slowed in the renovations, but as soon as he is able I'm sure he'll be chomping at the bit.

Sewing has been happening too. I made a Halloween bag for Colt and did some embroidery projects for him. Of course sewing for hire jobs have came in and I am grateful for those. I have made a few garments for me, which were sorely needed (and I need to make some more). Only one wadder in the bunch, so that's not too bad. I made another Jalie cardigan in a super soft brown knit that I love. I thrifted a bunch of pillows at my favorite thrift store and embroidered 8 wildlife themed pillow tops for the window seat in LaPine. In other crafty news, I finished a crocheted "Calm Cowl" (I kid you not...that was the name of the pattern) that I started while waiting on Tom's surgery. I started a pair of socks the other day that I think are going to be luscious.

A whole lot of reading has been going on here too. I loaded the Kindle up with books for Tom and I have been using the Kindle app on my iPad for my reading. Notable recent reads are Cheryl Strayed's "Wild" and Mitch Albom's "The Time Keeper". I also read "Overdressed..." by Elizabeth Cline which really confirmed what I already knew. One of my most favorite jobs was working in a sewing factory. It's a sad fact that those jobs went away. I try to balance my serious reading with some fluff and have been enjoying Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I know, I'm a little late to the party, but I like having a whole series of fun quick reads that I can pick up after I read something heavy. I am on Goodreads and enjoy following what my friends are reading. They also have a giveaway section and I have been lucky winning a few books to read as well.

Music. Many moons ago Tom sold a gun to buy me a guitar. For those who know Tom, that was a sincere act of love. I had not played with said guitar in a long time. A really, really, really long time! Well I pulled it out and have been learning. Songs beyond "What do you do with a Drunken Sailor?" Okay, the bulk of my current repertoire is America's "Horse with no Name" and Lynard Skinner's "Sweet Home Alabama". I've missed a few days practice because Tom just had surgery and I didn't want to subject him to me playing poorly, but today is the day to get back on the horse. So if you hear the dogs a howlin'...you'll know why!!! Happy Holidays!

And just because every post needs a picture...here's Colt:

1 comment:

gMarie said...

Oh Mary! Colt is getting so big. I remember when he was tiny. Gosh they grow so fast, don't they?

So good to see you in this space again. I'll admit - I don't like serious reading at all. I want to relax and enjoy and don't want to have to think to much. The Help was about as deep as I get in a book - and I loved it!

I have been sewing some, want to hear more about the luscious socks and the calming cowl. I made bulky socks this year for JB and some friends - Patons Original Wool, US3 needles, toe up, 44 stitches total, knit until they are tall enough. Super quick! I can knit a pair for JB in 24 hours - including sleep time. It's about time Tom got some nice warm thick wool socks, isn't it?

g

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...