Monday, May 12, 2008

Music Monday



I'm feeling a little nostalgic today. My oldest brother recently sent me the 8mm movies reels that my Dad took circa 1964-66. I nearly cried when I got the package. I contacted a video guy that came hightly recommended to transfer these memories from film to DVD. Jeff said he also could put the movies to music, so I started thinking about what would be appropriate for the vintage footage. Of course, music from that era is the obvious choice, so I googled to see what songs were popular then. I remember the music, just not the exact year it came out. I loved the Beatles. My sister, who is 10 years older than me had the albums and swore she was going to marry Paul. I had an affinity for Paul as well, I was really bummed when he married Linda, but hey, I was too young for him anyway. The song "Yesterday" was a perfect choice. I also liked "Turn, Turn, Turn" by the Byrds. I also noted that Shirley Bassey's "Goldfinger" from the James Bond moive was listed. That made me shiver. I was deathly afraid of that song when I was a little girl. So much so that my siblings would chase me around with the radio when it came on or would hide in the closet and sing it to freak me out. I still don't like it and doubt that I could listen to the whole song...I don't even want to watch the movie Goldfinger...Okay, breathe Mary!!! Back to the 8mm home movies...not going to put them to music. I decided that the best plan is to transfer them as is and keep the same vibe that was happening then. It's been over 40 years since I've seen these, so it should be good. I can remember some fancy trike antics by my younger brother and me, and I believe it chronicles a family reunion. Can't wait to get them back. On the sewing front, the Fire department hats are out the door (save the late orders...Tom is giving the stragglers a last call week) and I deposited enough proceeds to pay the vendor...the rest of the money is pure profit Baby!!! The Vanka quilt repair is coming along nicely. I finished the embroidery and quilting of the patch piece and should get it in over my days off. Then my plan is to work on the outfits I have cut out. I have so many ideas rolling around my head right now for garments, it's craziness. My windfall Burda magazines came today and I am just thrilled. There are so many styles that I can see myself making and wearing...makes me glad I took 3 years of German rather than Spanish...Sprechen Sie Deutsch?

No comments:

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...