Saturday, September 13, 2008

One Day at a Time...

Wow...I almost fell off the wagon Thursday. I get email sales all the time from the fabric sites and Fabric.com is one of my favorites. They always have these ridiculous sales that I find hard to resist. Since I went on the fabric embargo, I have pretty much been ignoring the messages, but Thursday I thought I would just look...JUST LOOK!!! Hmmm...told myself I would not buy anything unless it was under $2.00/yard. I figured that would keep me safe. Nope...the 6o% off inventory reduction included some solid Matte Jersey for the stupid price of $1.59/yard. Can you believe that? I put some things in my basket and continued to "just look". Eventually I reasoned with myself I was really flush with fabric and did not really need to enhance the stash, so I did the strong thing and emptied the basket. My Hunny said I should have just went ahead and bought it...Enabler!!! Now I don't mean to equate my struggles with people in recovery. I know we all like to joke about our "addiction" and need for support, but I mean no disservice to those who work to remain clean and sober. I have loved ones who I am proud of their commitment to stay clean and sober, so my vow to stop buying fabric for awhile is not on the same playing field. I guess it could get out of hand, but I am a pretty thrifty gal so I don't see my fabric habit preventing me from paying the bills or putting food on the table. It doesn't hurt to not be totally self indulgant. I have lots of fabric to wrap myself up in. The stash question is...how much is too much?

3 comments:

Kat said...

I almost broke down with that sale on the matte jersey--almost!! :)

Sharon Sews said...

I no longer stop by the shops "just to browse". It's too easy to pick up more fabric that I don't need. I think the answer to your question "how much is too much?" can only be answered by you. You might think I have too much, yet someone else might think I don't have enough :-)

Melissa said...

Ahh the age old question, how much is too much???? ;-) I have too much! lol I did very well at Fabric Depot last night. One yard for the coat, a zipper, and two yards of red poly/lycra jersey that called my name. It had beautiful dress and was "my" red. :-)

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...