Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Joy of Babies

We have been blessed with the company of our good friends Travis and Annie and their two children for the holiday weekend.  I really enjoy having them around and the hustle and bustle that children bring.  I also enjoy my peace and quiet, but I realize how brief these visits are and that soon the house will return to the gentle rhythm of two old souls (and a posse of pets).  Annie's Grandma gave her an old serger that we were trying to resurrect last night and of course the kids wanted Mama at that very moment (Mothers...you all know what I mean!!!).  The men folk were watching football (arrrr, arrrr, arrrr) and not really much help (sorry guys).  Usually Tom is the baby whisperer and he can put any little one to sleep, but Chloe was not having it last night.  Annie took Hayden upstairs to settle him into bed and I finally abandoned the serger to collect Chloe.  I hadn't got to spend too much time with her yesterday because she was velcroed to Tom most of the evening, so I was happy to do the baby waltz with her.  She snuggled right in and started to relax when our hearts found a symbiotic rhythm.  Pretty soon she was asleep too and Annie was able to put her to bed. I love that...that special quiet time...everything else can wait...babies don't keep.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Little ones are so precious :)

Kathy said...

that was beautiful...

Julia said...

Getting a baby to sleep is the most rewarding of all things we were put on this earth to do!

laura said...

Trying to concentrate on a serger with kids anywhere nearby usually doesn't work!! But like you said, the serger can wait.

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...