Saturday, April 4, 2009

Unplugged...

Wow...it's been almost a week since I last posted. Not an inordinate amount of time for me, but seems like forever. Went almost a week without television, internet, sewing (that was sad) or any other electronically powered device. I take that back...we did listen to the radio at times, but not alot. We made great headway on the La Pine property. Fell about a dozen trees, burned tons of brush and cleared a spot for the 5th wheel to live for the summer. The boys couldn't pull all the stumps because the ground is still frozen. We had snow everyday in some fashion...not that it really stuck, but there were residual patches of ice that came in handy when we prepared to leave. If you pile ice onto your burn pile and it does not melt...you're pretty much good to go! We met all the neighbors around us (except the back...it's zoned farm land and the only ones inhabiting it is the wildlife. Still a little early for the deer and elk to be coming in, but sure saw lots of sign that they have been there. The neighbor across the street said that they come through our property (since it is undeveloped at this point). They will still hang. We will plant things in the back to keep them happy and keep a goodly portion natural for their habitat. Returned home and plugged right back in. The baby shower at work that had been tentatively scheduled for Friday was moved up to Thursday. I got the message Thursday afternoon when we rolled in and so I had to hurry and clean up to make it. I'm glad I did...it was fun. Firebird licked the cake (he thought it was his party too), so nobody wanted a piece off that end! Now it is back to the old grind, but I feel truly refreshed and better able to deal with the inevitable stressors that working life brings. It's a good thing. I need to remember that when I start getting all wigged out about work stuff! Sewing has resumed at our house too. My boss has a birthday coming up next week so I embroidered a nice fluffy bathrobe for her. I may pick up some nice bath items and make it a "spa gift". She could use some pampering! (Can't we all?) Sara came over last night to cut out her dress and is working on it today. She said she is ready to take her sewing stuff home and work on some projects herself. That is exciting!!! In other news, I have reconnected with a few people from high school via FaceBook. I think it is time. 30+ years is a long time and maybe it is just getting older that is making me nostalgic, but I miss those people. Wayne did a couple of videos of our class, the teachers and our sports set to music of the time...Can you hum "Smoke on the Water" or "Bad to the Bone"? That's right...I'm old!!!

4 comments:

Julia said...

Glad you are home. Glad you got so much done. Glad you feel refreshed. Glad you are reconnected to electronics. Mostly, glad you are back on your blog. What a lucky boss you have!!

gwensews said...

I applaud your pioneer spirit! I know I would not do well without power. So much so, that I have an automatic generator that runs the entire house, should the electricity go out!

Maybe if I had your job, I would feel differently. I couldn't handle that either! More applause here!

Linda L said...

I am glad you enjoyed your time off and being without electricity. I could not do that. I am the kind of person that thinks camping is parking a Winnebago in a Sheraton hotel parking lot. (HaHa) Not really but my DH and I did the camping thing many moons ago and enjoyed it then. I am now a creature of comfort.

Glad your back safe and look forward to seeing some sewing projects soon.

laura said...

A friend of mine just moved back after 5 years of living in a home made (they even cut down and stripped the trees) log cabin. They had no electricity and used wood for heat and cooking. They did this for 5 years and you would never believe it to see them. She could be a fashion model!

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...