Friday, April 24, 2009

We Interrupt Current Sewing...

For an upholstery project! You never know when the next big project will hit in this house! One of my FILs (yes, I said "One"...long story, too much to do and you know how I like to go on!!!) has been looking for a little boat to go lake fishing. He was going to borrow our little Columbia, but Tom was busy and didn't go get it from his brother's house until Wednesday, so of course a good boat presented itself for purchase...and it was located in Estacada of all places (our family lives a few hours away)! She's a cutie...a little P-14. I will take pictures later (before & after) Tom went to look at it yesterday and when he returned home said..."Got a little project for you". I hear that frequently from many different people. Oh well...I get excited over new projects. The boat is...older, but in good sound structural shape. The upholstery shows some wear and is cracked and pulling away from some seams. The vinyl on the back seats is dry and cracks with any pressure, so new upholstery truly is in order. Upholstery is not difficult, especially when you can deconstruct the item being recovered. The seat portions are actually a box frame, so should be pretty simple. This will be Ricci's first project. Nothing better than a big old heavy machine when you are working with heavy materials. And the kicker? I have a roll of red marine vinyl in my stash from a prior "Got a little project for you" for the Fire Department. The boat colors? Red and White! So now I have a reason to go fabric shopping today (you laugh???). I hope to get the seat portions done today (if I can find the white vinyl) and then work on the upright portions on Sunday. If I can't find white in town, Denver fabrics has white marine vinyl, which is where I purchased the red, but then I will have to wait afew days to really get going. I work a double shift tomorrow and Tom said he will help take the seat backs off for me. In unrelated news...I bought a previously viewed copy of "Twilight" the other day and stayed up last night to watch it! I loved the scenery (okay, so it was filmed here...shameless plug for the PNW...sorry Forks folks) and it was fun trying to identify all the places. Total Gorge love and the beach scene looked like Pacific City to me, but I need to check. (Fact check...Cannon beach...Close enough for government work!) Enough rambling...this girl's got work to do!!!

1 comment:

gwensews said...

Wow-good luck with that upholstery.

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...