Friday, June 4, 2010

How Mary got her Groove Back...

I had been feeling really inadequate in the sewing department lately.  Several projects in the works took up space on Valentine, on my counter, on my ironing board. It seemed like nothing would ever get finished.  That is until I decided that sewing something was critical to my sanity and MADE the time to do it.  And I did it in a big way, completing an entire dress yesterday and a new top today.  Yesterday's project was Simplicity 2443, the Cynthia Rowley dress.  I made it in a white and teal colorway doubleknit print and have a teal pique to make the coordinating jacket.  As with anything I sew, I regarded the the instructions as merely a suggestion and made it the way I thought it should be made.  Specifically I made it with no closures, because it's a knit people...the dress easily pulls over my head.  I also left out the pockets because the slightly gathered skirt has enough bulk, and I don't need any more padding on my hips.  Today's top is also a newer Simplicity 2364 view B made with an orange slubby knit.  Modifications made to this pattern was I cut the collar piece as one piece rather than with a seam down the back because my fabric was wide enough to do so.  This top went together super easy and quick and the fit is great.  I plan to make view A with the long sleeves as well.  It feels good to get some things done.  I also cleaned the studio up a bit and filled a new thread rack. I also repaired Tom's new Nike shorts that had a bad seam in it.  We were getting ready to workout when he noted light through the crotch seam.  Dang it!  Where were those auditors?  Lucky for Tom he has a professional available to do it right!  Sewing, a good workout, razor clams for dinner and the return of one of my favorite TV shows (Flashpoint)...it's been a very good weekend indeed!

3 comments:

Summerset said...

Glad you're back to getting things done! BTW, I've seen that CR dress, a real one in a store and even though it was made of a heavy knit, maybe a double knit, it had a zipper in the back. A big metal zipper, installed with the brass teeth exposed. I'm not sure if that is in the pattern or not, but thought it was a bit silly to have a zipper in a knit, too.

Maryissewfast said...

The instructions had a side opening with snaps (?). I can see using a zipper as a design element, but this dress has a racerback and the neck/sleeve bands are really the element. It will be a great summer throw on and go dress. I will take pics soon...the sun is finally out so we are going to head out for a bike ride! :)

Donna said...

Hi! I'm so glad you are sewing again. Doesn't it feel so nice? I agree...I refuse to put a zipper in my square dance skirt when it has elastic on the sides and can be pulled over head. What's the point? Good call!

Project Dress a Girl

For the past couple of years, I have made dresses for Project Dress a Girl Around the World, in part thanks to the campaign launched by Mari...